Thursday 28 September 2017

CASE STUDY- Representation

Lyrics of Meghan Trainor's ' Dear Future Husband'

(Not full lyrics)

Dear future husband
Here's a few things
You'll need to know if you wanna be ---> This shows that she is in control as if you don't have what 
 she needs then you 'FAIL', this is shown in the music video

You got that 9 to 5    --->shows that they both have equal rights but this contradicts with the first  stanza. This also contradicts in the music video. She seems to be cleaning the floor so this shows that she is the stereotypical housewife.     
But, baby, so do I            

So don't be thinking I'll be home and baking apple pies   --> This shows that she is not the stereotypical 'housewife', who cooks and cleans. This has a big contrast with what she has said in the starting of the paragraph.
I never learned to cook  
Tell me I'm beautiful each and every night --> The word 'beautiful' could connote the stereotypical women as they always care about how they look. The words 'Tell me', they are imperative, this also repeats the message of if you tell me this you will get something in return.
After every fight
Just apologize
And maybe then I'll let you try and rock my body right
Even if I was wrong     --->  This shows her power in the relationship. 
You know I'm never wrong 
Why disagree?
Why, why disagree?
Open doors for me and you might get some kisses --->  This portrays her power. In other words she is saying that if you this for me you 'might' get something in return, and if you don't then you have 'FAILED'

Buy me a ring --> The stereotypical women is shown.
Buy-buy me a ring, babe

If you wanna get that special loving --> The same message is repeated here. If you do this you will  get this.
Tell me I'm beautiful each and every night   
Future husband, better love me right --> This almost sounds like a threat.

From the clothes Meghan Trainor is wear we can tell that it is set in around the 50s, she adds a little twist to it by wearing leather. At 2:01 in the music video, Meghan Trainor is portraying the stereotypical men , masculinity. In other words she is saying if you cant cook, isn't strong then you 'FAIL'. However this contrasts with who she chooses in the end as this person doesn't look physically strong, but brings in pizza. At 0:50 to 0:53, panning shot was used, which makes the audience go on the journey with Meghan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vogue

History of Vogue  1892              Arthur Baldwin Turnure was the founder of vogue in the US.  The price was 10 cents.  The meani...